Thursday, March 7, 2013

A safe haven

There's something special about the realization that
my baby recognizes me as someone she can trust.

I feed her, hold her, play with her, talk with her, comfort her.
All these daily interactions create an environment for her
where she can feel safe and comfortable.

I am a safe haven.

She knows that when I am there, she will be okay.
And even when she is screaming and crying inconsolably,
the fact that I continue to hold on to and love her in her distress
shows her that I am here for good.

I will be there for her,
through rain or shine
heartache or  happiness
crying or laughing.

I am a safe haven.

This is what I want to be for Kaiya throughout her life.
I want her to know that she can come to me after school
and tell me all about her accomplishments and struggles.
When she feels discouraged, I want her to feel safe
talking to me about her doubts and fears.

When she needs to talk about boys (like, when she's 25),
or girl drama (it will inevitably happen),
I want her to want to talk to me about those things.
I want to value her thoughts and show her I value them
by listening to her. Really listening to her.
Even if it means putting other "important" to-dos
on hold for the moment.

I want to be her safe haven.

Whenever she goes to sleep at night,
I hope she can go to sleep with the peace and comfort of
knowing she is loved unconditionally.

I hope she always looks this peaceful at the end of the day...

Newborn Kaiya sleeping in her safe haven (Mommy and Daddy's bed)

7 month old Kaiya, still sleeping safely, soundly, peacefully.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips