That's probably what you were thinking, right?
Well, you read that correctly. There really are black beans in these brownies.
And there really is no flour in them either!
You think I'm crazy? Well, maybe you're right. But they really are delicious!
I never considered making black bean brownies until I needed to
make a dessert for someone who couldn't eat gluten.
I sure was skeptical.
But look at these!...
If I hadn't already spilled the beans (haha?) that these were made with black beans,
you would NEVER have guessed, right? :)
Well, here is the recipe I used to make these beauties. I found this recipe on DAMY Health.
I slightly modified it by omitting the instant coffee and using 4 whole eggs.
Flourless PB Black Bean Brownies
Prep time: 10 Minutes – Cook time: 30 Minutes – Total time: 40 Minutes
Servings: 12-16 brownies
Black Bean Brownie Ingredients:
- 1 15oz. Can Black Beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 Eggs
- 1/3 cup Pumpkin Puree (or unsweetened apple sauce-I used the pumpkin puree)
- 1/2 cup Natural Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Agave, Honey or Maple Syrup (I used Agave) - and actually I would add a bit more than this if you prefer a sweeter brownie rather than a rich brownie
- 2 Tbsp Maple Syrup (or just use more agave or honey)
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips (more if you wish - highly recommended)
- 1/3 Cup Peanut Butter
- 1 Tbsp Agave or Honey
- Pinch of Salt
- Dash of Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 F.
- Place all black bean brownie ingredients into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with a healthy, non-stick cooking spray.
- Evenly spread batter into baking dish.
- On your stove-top melt peanut butter swirl ingredients and mix.
- Dollop peanut butter swirl mixture with a spoon spaced out about an inch from each other onto the brownie batter.
- Pull a knife back and forth through the batter creating your swirls.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.*Ovens vary so your discretion is needed. You will know your brownies are baked when the top becomes firm and the brownies pull away from the sides of the dish.
- Sticking a tooth pick in the middle and pulling it out clean will ensure your brownies are baked fully.
- Remove from oven when baked and let set in the baking dish for about 10 minutes.
- Gently cut brownies, serve and enjoy!
- To store brownies it is best to first let them cool completely and then store them in a sealed tight container in the refrigerator.
I am officially a fan of black beans in brownies. Yep. I just said that.