Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Flutterings (& Chocolatey Mug Cakes)

It was a lazy Tuesday morning (my only "lazy" morning)
and I laid awake in my bed.

Just laying there.
Breathing in and out, in and out.
Trying to picture that little, growing baby inside me.

I laid my hands on my belly and continued to breath.
In and out, in and out.
And there it was!

I gentle poke from the inside.

I laid perfectly still...Another poke!
Gah, I love this! My favorite part of pregnancy is being able
to feel a baby wriggling and stretching inside me...

Me! Just another human being who happens to be housing
another, growing human being, who will grow up to be a big
girl or boy who can laugh, cry, dance, think, believe, and achieve.

The thought is beautiful and almost unfathomable in some ways.

Hah! I think I can feel my little peanut squirming around as we speak!
It's miraculous.

While pregnancy brings the joys of feeling a human-being inside,
it also brings the feeling of some random cravings...
Which is where the "chocolatey mug cakes" part of my post comes in!

Remember this post from a while back?

Well, I have another chocolatey mug cake recipe to share with you!
Because I want everyone to know the joys of mug cakes. ;)
And so I don't feel alone in my random chocolate cravings







Healthy Chocolatey Mug Cake
Total Time: 5 minutes
Yield: 1 mug cake
Nutrition at a glance (more detailed nutrition at end of post):
Calories (337), Fat (20.4g), Carbs (40.3g), Fiber (7.6g), Sugars (18.6g), Protein (5.9g)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Tbsp. whole wheat flour (or white flour)
  • 2 Tbsp. dutch processed cocoa (regular cocoa works fine, but dutch is more rich!)
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1-2 Tbsp. organic cane sugar (regular sugar works, or 1 Tbsp. of honey or agave nectar)
  • 1 flax egg (1/2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed + 1 Tbsp. water) -- a regular egg, well beaten, also works!
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. dark chocolate almond milk
  • 1 Tbsp. applesauce
  • 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil (you could also just use 2 Tbsp. canola oil in place of the 1 Tbsp. applesauce/ 1 Tbsp. coconut oil--I just like to use applesauce for half of it because it's healthier ;) )
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 Tbsp. Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips--they're the best!
Directions:
  1. (If using the flax egg) In a small bowl, prepare the flax egg by combining the flaxseed with water. Let sit for 3-5 minutes until it has a viscous, egg-like texture. 
  2. In a large mug, stir together the flour, cocoa, and sugar (if not using agave or honey).
  3. Add to the mug the egg (if not using flax egg), almond milk, applesauce, oil, vanilla, and agave or honey (if not using sugar). Mix until well combined.
  4. Stir in the chocolate chips. 
  5. Microwave somewhere between 50 and 60 seconds. The time really depends on the strength of your microwave. It may take a bit of experimentation to get it just right.
  6. Enjoy! And keep a glass of milk nearby. :)  

Note: The flax egg makes the mug cake slightly grainy, which I don't mind because I'm not sensitive to different textures. However, if you are not so much a fan of different textures, I would use a regular egg for a more fluffy texture. :)
                                                                                          
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving
Per Serving% Daily Value*
Calories 337
Calories from Fat 184
Total Fat 20.4g31%
Saturated Fat 14.7g74%
Sodium 14mg1%
Carbohydrates 40.3g13%
Dietary Fiber 7.6g30%
Sugars 18.6g
Protein 5.9g
Vitamin A 1% · Vitamin C 15%
Calcium 5% · Iron 29%
*Based on a 2000 calorie diet

2 comments:

  1. That's exciting about the "flutterings!" Yay for babies! I was wondering if you'd be able to put the nutrition facts with your recipe posts- or if you know a website so I could do that? I like knowing the calories, fiber, sugar, etc. for each serving- it helps me to stay within my calorie range, and I like knowing what's all in it :) Anyways, THANK YOU for all the yummy, healthy recipes! I'm really excited to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is a great idea Aubrey! I will look into that for sure. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips