Saturday, January 26, 2013

Greeting the Pearly Gates

Image from Google





















"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long perfectly manicured fingernails.

 I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbor's children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and tears of a friend on my shoulder.

I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived."

~Marjorie Pay Hinckley


I share the sentiments of this remarkable woman. I want my life to contain more substance than things the world provides...

The world provides objects and things that are fleeting, things that end, things that are broken and lost. And those things are the ones that really don't matter.

The things that do matter are the ones that have eternal consequences--service, love, charity, motherhood, compassion, sacrifice, family. These things are not broken or lost. They never end.

And they are the things that I want to carry with me when I greet those pearly gates.

Love,
JaM

2 comments:

  1. that has always been one of my all time favorite quotes. if you haven't read "glimpses", the book written by her, you should because it is one of the best books ever, especially for wives and mothers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely put that on my reading list! I just love Marjorie Hinckley. She is such an example to me. Thanks for the recommendation! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips