Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Zucchini Goat Cheese Quesadillas with Caramelized Onions

I have a problem.

It's pretty bad...

I'm 99.99% positive that I'm addicted to Pinterest food.
I could look at that stuff all day!
I love looking at all the amazing recipes out there and dreaming
about having them in my kitchen (or my belly) right this moment.

Now, I just need to figure out how to make my food look that good!

Anyways, during one of my Pinterest perusals, I found this recipe
for Zucchini Goat Cheese Pizza by Diethood.

It looked SO good.
But I didn't have the energy or will-power to make pizza dough.
(It's a rare occurrence that I do!)

So...I decided to take this pizza and turn it into...

A quesadilla!

And this was one dang good quesadilla.



























First, you can't go wrong with caramelized onions.
They are so sweet and full of flavor!

And

Second, the goat cheese gets all melty and gooey inside the quesadilla
and simply melts in your mouth with every bite.

Both complement the tender, sauteed zucchini perfectly.

Yum!

Now for a funny/horrifying story...

While I was making said quesadillas, sweet little Kaiya climbed onto a chair
in the kitchen and knocked a cup of water all over the kitchen table...
and onto everything else on the table!

Luckily, my husband's laptop was spared, but tons of papers and other books got wet.
You think I would know by now not to leave cups of water on a table for
a toddler to spill over lots of important things, right?

Apparently I haven't learned that lesson yet. :)

Luckily, this little incident did not result in burnt quesadillas!

And now, for your eating pleasure....


























Zucchini Goat Cheese Quesadillas
               with Caramelized Onions

Total Time: 15-20 minutes
Servings: 2 quesadillas
Nutrition (per quesadilla):
Calories (331), Fat (19.5g), Carbs (23.5g), Protein (17.4g), Fiber (2.6g), Sugars (2.8g)
Low sugar, high protein, high calcium, and very high in vitamin B6

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 medium zucchini, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 c. - 2/3 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
  • 1/4 c. crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 whole wheat tortillas
Directions:
  1. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add sliced red onion and sauté until onion begins to appear translucent, about 2 minutes. 
  2. Add the chopped zucchini, salt, pepper, and garlic to the skillet and continue to sauté until the zucchini is tender. Remove from heat. Be sure to stir the red onion and zucchini occasionally while they are sautéing so they cook evenly. 
  3. Lightly spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Place your tortilla in the skillet and cover one half of the tortilla with half the mozzarella cheese, half the zucchini/onion mixture, and half the crumbled goat cheese. 
  4. Fold the tortilla in half and cook until the bottom is golden brown. Flip the quesadilla and cook until the other side is golden brown.
  5. Transfer quesadilla to a serving plate.
  6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the remaining ingredients to make your second quesadilla.
Enjoy! 


























What's your favorite kind of quesadilla? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips