Saturday, February 15, 2014

Dark Chocolate Banana Avocado Cookies

Okay, this is going to sound weird.
Really weird.
But you gotta hear me out!

I've been seeing pins on Pinterest for Chocolate Avocado Cookies.

That's right. Avocado!

I was instantly curious. 
Any baked good made with avocados had to be weird. And taste weird.
Avocados are for guacamole, not cookies.

Despite my reluctance to believe that cookies made with avocado could be palate-worthy,
I decided to try them! I'm one to try everything at least once.

Source

So I made these chocolate avocado cookies from The Smoothie Lover.

When they came out of the oven, I was thinking,
"Man, these better taste as good as they smell!" Haha.
Well, I ate one a few minutes after they came out of the oven 
and it was pretty good, but not the greatest.
Then I realized the recipe recommended refrigerating the cookies 
before eating them, so I did just that.

I waited, and waited, and waited. 
But boy, was it worth it! The chilled cookies were SO good!
The texture is definitely not the same as your ordinary cookie. 
They are thinner, more dense, and more moist compared to your average cookie,
but the flavor is amazing! I was pretty impressed.

They were chocolatey and riddled with bits of delicious dark chocolate chips.

These cookies inspired me to try my own version of chocolate avocado cookies,
but I wanted to make them a little different, so I added...

Bananas!

Yep, it doesn't get much stranger than a banana-avocado cookie. 
But I was determined to make it work.

I tried it once, and the texture just wasn't quite right. They were super gooey.
The not-so-great kind of gooey.

So I tried again, and my Dark Chocolate Banana-Avocado Cookies were born!



Dark Chocolate Banana Avocado Cookies

Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 dozen cookies
Nutrition (per cookie):
Calories (81), Fat (3.1g), Carbs (12.2g), Fiber (2.1g), Sugars (6.9g), Protein (2.3g)
High in Vitamin B6 and Fiber

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 2 medium eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp. raw honey
  • 1/4 c. ripe, mashed avocado (about 1/2 a large avocado)
  • 1/4 c. very ripe, mashed banana (about 1/2 medium banana)
  • 5 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
  • 5 Tbsp. dutch-processed cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 2-3 Tbsp. miniature dark chocolate chips (or any kind of chocolate chip you have on hand!)
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. 
  2. In large bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, vanilla, and honey. Add mashed avocado and banana and mix well. 
  3. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir well to combine. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Spoon dough onto cookie sheet in 1 heaping Tbsp. per cookie. Bake in oven for about 8 minutes or until the cookies appear set and are not "shiny" anymore (see picture below).
  5. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for about 15 minutes and then transfer them to cooling rack. If you try to transfer them when the cookies are still really warm, they will fall apart.
  6. Place the cookie-filled cooling rack in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes until the cookies are chilled.
  7. Enjoy with a tall glass of chilled milk!























Cheers! :)




What surprisingly delicious foods have you tried? 

4 comments:

  1. This sound so good. I love avocado, banana and dark chocolate. I will definitely try this someday. I love the recipes you post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are delicious! If you love chocolate, you'll love these. :) Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. I doubled the recipe, baked in an 8x8 pan at 325 for 30 minutes...BROWNIES! (I doubled it because I pureed the whole banana and avocado before noticing I only needed half of each. Also, since I pureed it, the batter was too thin to make cookies.) I thought you'd like to know your recipe is yummy and versatile! My sweet tooth wants these to be sweeter, but they definitely satisfy the chocolate craving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie! Oh my goodness. That is brilliant! I am going to have to try your brownie version of the recipe. I am glad you enjoyed the recipe! And feel free to add as much sweet as you need. ;) I'm guilty of being a huge fan of super super dark chocolate!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips