Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Two Words

It is not going to take very many words for anyone
to know exactly what this post is going to be about.
In fact, it will only take two:

Miley Cyrus.

That's it.

In two words, all the gossip on Facebook, Twitter, etc.
about Miley's recent "adventures" race through your mind.

Her recent VMA adventure is burned into my brain from
all the pictures on Facebook I have seen of her.
I won't go into details on the photos, but,
 in short, they are vulgar, disturbing, and disappointing.
(And you have probably already seen them.)

I just wonder, why?
Why does she feel she has to do such raunchy things to get attention?
If it's attention she wants, she's definitely getting it,
but is it the kind of attention she really wants?

I don't know the answer. I'm just thinking out loud.

And I can't help but think about the kind of celebrities Kaiya will
see as she grows up in a media-saturated world.

I hope her role models are not the women she sees in
movies, magazines, television shows, etc.
who try to sell the message that to be happy you must
dress, behave, and look a certain way.

I hope her role models are women who show respect for themselves
and for others by treating their bodies as gifts from God, and not
objects of "pleasure".

Is there really any true happiness from treating bodies as objects?
I can't imagine there is.

Because people are so much more than their bodies.

Miley is more than her body.
I just hope she realizes that soon.

Mostly for her sake,
but also for the sake of those who miss the "Hannah Montana" Miley.








Let me know what your thoughts are. 
Why do you think she has made such a drastic change?
Is it Miley's (or any celebrity for that matter) responsibility to be a good role model?

6 comments:

  1. I think that we have to teach our kids that celebrities are not good role models. I once heard Kim Kardashian say that she is trying to be a good role model to all the girls who look up to her... Yeah, weren't you the one who got famous from a sex tape?

    Also, what about Rob Thicke? He was singing a song that encourages rape culture and holding Miley's shoulders while she twerked on him... Why is no one concerned about a near 40 year old man singing and dancing super raunchy with a young girl?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that exact same thing! It's a horrible double standard that we don't realize we have sometimes. I think all the talk has been focused on Miley because it's still so shocking that she has changed so much.

      I had only recently (like today, I think) discovered that the song "Blurred Lines" suggested rape! I had no idea! So sick.

      Delete
  2. Also, can we agree that she looked so stupid? Like, really silly. It was a clumsy attempt at trying to be a 'grown-up' expressing sexuality (though, I don't think that whatever she was doing was expressing sexuality, just obscenity).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. It was kind of embarrassing to be honest. Have you seen the picture of Will Smith and his children when they saw the performance?!

      Delete
    2. Hilarious. Reed and I laughed so hard when we saw that picture!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips