Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Baked Pear Steel-Cut Oatmeal {And a pregnancy update!}

I am almost 25 weeks pregnant! Meaning I only have about 15 weeks left to prepare for this little guy!

Where to begin? I don't even know! I only have mountains of baby girl clothing, accessories, toys, etc.
And I have been way too busy to even think about going out and buying any boy stuff.

Yeah...not feeling very prepared yet!

While I may not be prepared for him to come yet, he sure is getting ready! 
He is so active, especially after I eat or exercise. And he is definitely growing.
For you moms out there, were there any foods you ate that really got your kids moving?
Because foods like curry or chocolate get my little guy moving a ton! :)

I just had another prenatal appointment today and everything looked and sounded great!
*sigh of relief*

No matter how many times I go in for a prenatal appointment and everything looks great,
I still end up worrying about all sorts of random things: Why isn't he moving right now? Is he okay? Am I eating enough? Is he getting the nutrition he needs?

Anyways, I am really excited for this new baby to join our family! :)

Another exciting event coming up: graduation! I graduate next month.

I know, it's crazy. It really is. And it's still difficult for me to wrap my mind around.
Done. Done with school? Forever?! Well, maybe not forever. But for a while.

However, that doesn't mean I don't plan on continuing my education.
I plan on learning lots of things post-graduation: how to sew, bake more, cook more, budget, organize, and all those other things I have been wanting to do but just have not had time for. 

I also cannot wait to spend more time with Kaiya-bear and our new little man.
I cannot wait to take them to the park and play games with them and help their dreams and imaginations run wild. At least that's what I would like to do. 

I hope to teach them to love life. And food...which leads me to this beautifully delicious dish...

Baked Pear Steel-Cut Oatmeal!












This recipe is very similar to my Baked Pear-Berry Steel-Cut Oatmeal, just without the berries.
And with some shredded coconut added!

Pear+coconut=delicious! If you haven't had that combination before, you will be pleasantly surprised. :)
























This is the perfect dish to use up those pears that you forgot about in the fridge or on the countertop.
I totally forgot that I had a couple of pears sitting in the pantry. I was going to throw them away but then thought that I should try to use them somehow. So I made this oatmeal!

I am really working on not wasting so much food. The other week I realized I was throwing away so much leftover food and vegetables that had gone bad, and I decided to change that.

So, no more wasting food for me! :) At least, that's my goal.















Baked Pear-Berry Steel-Cut Oats
Inspired by: This New Old Thing
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 6
Nutrition (per serving):
Calories (193), Fat (3.1g), Protein (5.5g), Carbs (37.1g), Sugars (12.6g), Fiber (6.2g)
High in dietary fiber, 16% DV of Calcium

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. uncooked steel-cut oats
  • 1 & 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or milk of choice)
  • 2 ripe pears, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp. raw honey (depending on how sweet you want it!)
  • 2 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
  • 1/2 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, optional (but not ;) )
  • 1/3 c. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tsp. cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Mix oats and milk in large bowl and set aside for 10 minutes, so the oats soak up a bit of the milk.
  3. While the oats are soaking, heat a small saucepan over medium heat and add the raw honey and pears. Saute the pears for a 4-5 minutes until pears are softened.
  4. Add the pear mixture and all other ingredients (maple syrup, baking powder, chia seeds, shredded coconut, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt) into the bowl with the oats and milk. Stir to combine.
  5. Pour the oat mixture into a lightly greased 8x8 baking dish and bake in oven for about 35-40 minutes, or until the center is set and no longer runny.
  6. Serve warm with an extra splash of milk and a sprinkle of coconut. 
  7. Refrigerate leftovers in a airtight container. To reheat leftovers, heat a small to medium saucepan over medium heat, add the desired amount of baked oats and some almond milk. Feel free to add as much/little milk as you want, depending on how you like the consistency of your oats. More milk for thinner oats, less milk for thicker oats. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips